Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Inquisition: 045.Owel


1. How did you came up with the name of the band? 

Jay: There isn't much of a story behind it. We just wanted something simple that didn't say too much about the band, to allow the listener to come up with their own visuals and meaning based on our sound. 

2. Do you have a standard procedure of creating a song? Do you just jam around or is there a main riff and the track is build up on it? 

Jay: I never really sit down and say, “ok, it’s time to write”. I just record them whenever I have an idea, and then go back to it later. Like even after we finished this last record, literally a week later I started writing new songs. I guess I’m just afraid of not catching something while it’s there. 

3. What are your influences and what kind of music do you hear when you are at home? 

Jay: We all have different influences. I think it's pretty obvious when you listen to our music, but personally I'm a huge fan of artists like Sigur Ros, Radiohead, Apparat, etc. I'm also really into stuff like Al Green, Etta James, and Nat King Cole. 
Seamus: The beauty of making music with these guys is we all come from different backgrounds allowing us to share ideas and basically learn a lot from each others' tastes. With me personally, my earliest influence was Brian Wilson's work with the Beach Boys. The mix of amazing songwriting and ridiculous harmonies got me interested in music right from the age of 8. Since then, anyone from Jesse Lacey from Brand New to Dallas Green, there really are too many to name. 
Jane: I grew up learning classical violin and then fell in love with indie-rock/alternative stuff that incorporates orchestral elements. I’m inspired by artists like St. Vincent and Andrew Bird, who have a good grasp on what can sound accessible, yet are unafraid to get a little weird. 

4. Which is the one album you can't live without? 

Nunzio: My "go-to" album no matter what mood I'm in is Steely Dan's "Aja" 
Ryan: Misery Signals - Of Malice and the Magnum Heart 
Seamus: Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism 
Jane: Andrew Bird - Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs 
Jay: Sigur Ros - Ágætis byrjun 

5. What's the first record you've ever bought? 

Jane: Blind Melon – Self-Titled 
Ryan: Rancid – Out Come the Wolves 
Jay: Boyz II Men - II. 
Nunzio: Green Day - Dookie 

6. Name a band that you would like to share the stage or tour with? 

Ryan: Radiohead 
Seamus: Brand New or Thrice 
Jane: I just recently started listening to This Will Destroy You. I think it’d be really fun to play with them. 

7. Did the internet and specially the blogs helped to spread your music around the world? Name a place (country) that you were surprised to know your music has reached to? 

Jane: Absolutely. Without the internet, I don’t know how we would have reached an audience outside of NJ/NY. We’re constantly blown away by people who reach out to us from different countries like Brazil, Japan, and Mexico. 

8. Do you support the idea of bandcamp where fans can decide the price or services like Spotify?

Nunzio: I like the idea of fans paying what they want. I think that concept has worked well for some artists. I also like the idea of services like Spotify for their accessibility but they've been getting a bad name for how little they pay the artists. They'll have to figure that out. 

9. Where do you see yourselves in 5 years? 

Jay: I can't bring myself to wonder where I'll be in 5 years. I fear I won't be too happy about the conclusion. 
Jane: I hardly know what the next 6 months will look like. Live in the moment, right? 
Ryan: Happy and healthy. 

10. Is the artwork of an album important nowadays in the digital era? 

Nunzio: It's important for the feel of an album. I think the artwork sort of prepares the listener emotionally 
Jane: Yeah. At least for me--when I listen to a song, my mind tends to immediately visualize the album artwork--like it’s been catalogued in my brain and makes that association automatically. I’m betting that’s the case for a lot of people and why art is so important. 
Ryan: Yes, people find ways to judge everything so I feel album artwork should be well thought out and tasteful. 
Seamus: I think the artwork of albums is important. It's basically the only visual you give the listener to go along with your sound. I like to think it sets a tone even before you hear a track. 

11. What is your favorite album cover? 

Nunzio: Something about "Dark Side of the Moon" that's so iconic. I've always loved that simplicity ever since seeing it for the first time in my dad's vinyls as a kid.


Ryan: Frank Zappa - Over-nite Sensation


Seamus: Weirdly, I’ve always liked Say Anything’s - Is a Real Boy album cover.Just like the simplicity of it I guess.


Jane: Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. Iconic, thought provoking, and stays with you. 

12. It seems that a lot of people are turning on vinyl again. Why do you think that is and which is your preferable media format? 

Nunzio: Everything's gone digital but some people still like to have something physical to hold onto. Vinyl has a very cool sound and feel to it depending on the album, but personally I'm always listening digitally. 
Ryan: I am extremely excited about the vinyl movement. It is a lot harder to skip a song or part on a record player so I get happy knowing that people are more likely to listen to the full album in its entirety which it was designed for. 
Jay: I think the intention is great, people want to listen to music and have it sound good. Although sometimes I'll see people hook up their record players to shitty speakers which sort of defeats the purpose. Still there is at least a sentiment for quality. 

13. What's the most vivid story or moment as a band? 

Ryan: They're all vivid, every time I take the stage with my band, I am excited to show our music.
Jane: For me, it was when we played the Highline Ballroom earlier this year, opening for Mae. Looking out at the sold-out crowd at such an awesome venue was pretty surreal. 
Jay: A couple summers ago, we played the Northside Festival in Brooklyn and after our set, we got to hang out by the Williamsburg Waterfront. The weather was perfect and we watched Seamus do tricks on his skateboard. It was nice to be able to kick back as a band after a busy run of shows.

Owel amazed us with their debut self-titled album 2 years ago and a new EP it's on the way after their crowd funding on indiegogo.

More info:

0 Engineers:

Also check

 
;