Tuesday, September 08, 2015

The Inquisition: 065.All We Expected

1. How did you come up with the name of the band?

Guillian (guitar): There’s actually a kind of a stupid story behind that. When we first started out with the band, we didn’t really think about having a band name yet. We just rehearsed and rehearsed, but after a while we finally felt the need to search for a name. And so we each decided to write a few possible names on a piece of paper and after a few rounds of voting we ended up with two names; ‘All Is Chaos’ and ‘Everything I Expected’. Bring those two together and voila; we had a brand new name!

2. Do you have a standard procedure of creating a song? Do you just jam around or is there a main riff and the track is build up on it?

Artuur (drums): We do have some kind of standard procedure of creating a song. Generally, it’s up to the first one of us that’s ready setting up his gear for rehearsal to set things in motion. Sometimes it’s me, sometimes it’s our bass player, but most of the times it’s one of our guitar players that starts playing a melody or a riff over and over again until the other guys join in. Once the ball gets rolling, we all completely drift away in our jams. Before you know it an hour has past and then we’re all wiping the sweat and trying to recall everything we just did. That’s basically how our songs get their first shape.

3. What are your influences and what kind of music do you hear when you are at home?

Artuur: Musically, our main influences are bands such as Russian Circles, Red Sparowes, GY!BE, Amenra, Explosions In The Sky and many more. I could literally go on for ages about that.  Guillian, our guitarist, for example listens to shady indie rock and strange singer songwriters as well, but I think we all have a pretty wide taste regarding music. We even caught our bass player listening to Katy Perry one time, so yeah, I think we’re open for anything, haha.

4. Which is the one album you can't live without?

Artuur: This is really the toughest question you could possibly ask me. There are so many albums I really like and love, but that ‘one album’, hmm… I guess I really need the Valtari album by Sigur Ròs and Amenra’s MASS III.
Guillian: That’s indeed a hard nut to crack, but if I had to choose one album only, I think I’d go for ‘Ausserwelt’ by Year of No Light.

5. What's the first record you've ever bought?

Artuur: I’m not proud of it when I look back at it, but I guess that would be a Green Day record or maybe one from The Offspring. We’re all happy these times have past, haha.
Guillian: The first record I bought was ‘Results May Vary’ by Limp Bizkit. I definitely was into the whole nu metal thing when I was a teenager.

6. Name a band that you would like to share the stage or tour with?

Year of No Light!

7. Did the internet and specially the blogs helped to spread your music around the world? Name a place (country) that you were surprised to know your music has reached to?

Guillian: Yes, it really helped us a lot! Without the internet and all of those fantastic music blogs I don’t think our demo EP would have had any plays outside of Belgium. But thanks to the world wide web we’ve reached people all over Europe and we even got response from people hailing from Mexico, Bolivia, Thailand and Iran!

8. Do you support the idea of bandcamp where fans can decide the price or services like Spotify?

Artuur: Yes! It’s so cool to see that some people are paying more than the amount we actually asked for our music, just because they want to support the scene. We really couldn’t be happier with that idea! In my opinion, services like Spotify and Deezer are great as well. Especially Deezer is a great way to discover new bands you have never heard of before. You should check out their ‘flow-function’, it’s really effective!

9. Where do you see yourselves in 5 years?

Guillian: We really don’t have a clue. We’ll see where we get, I guess. The last few weeks we received great comments and reviews about our newest work and we also got word that we were selected for an awesome music competition in Belgium, so we’ll see how that works out.
Artuur: I think I speak for all the band members when I say that it’s our dream to play on the main stage at Dunk!festival once, or even more than once, haha! It’s just such an amazing festival and it’d be so great to be able to play there in the coming 5 years.

10. Is the artwork of an album important nowadays in the digital era?

Guillian: For us, it really does have its importance, even if almost everything is digital these days. The artwork of an album should represent the band and their music visually and is just another way of expressing themselves I think. When you put your soul in creating songs, then why would you come up with crappy artwork to accompany them?!

11. What is your favorite album cover?

Guillian: I really like the album cover for one of Mono’s latest creations: ‘Rays of Darkness’. Everytime I look at it I discover something new and I just think the art perfectly fits in with the feel of the album.

12. It seems that a lot of people are turning on vinyl again. Why do you think that is and which is your preferable media format?

Artuur: Some people say music on vinyl has better sound quality, others say it’s just plain bullshit. I personally think it’s just the whole package that attracts people to vinyl. The artwork gets more attention, you get to hold the creation of an artist in your hands, and so on. It’s really something for music lovers I guess.

13. What's the most vivid story or moment as a band?

Guillian: For me that would definitely be our recording weekend. We recorded the songs for our split release in our rehearsal room, which is basically an upgraded barn, and we slept there, ate there,… We had so much fun doing it and we didn’t mind being together the whole time for almost three days straight. After one day our drummer Artuur already got as sick as a parrot, but he still managed to record his drum parts, even though he felt like breaking down any minute.
Artuur: I’d go for our gig with Raum Kingdom in Lendelede, Belgium last March. Even though we performed in a small venue in a very small town, we got so much response and the whole evening was just perfect!

All We Expected  are going to release a split with Raum Kingdom in exactly one week! You really need to listen to this split!

More info:
Facebook
Twitter
Bandcamp
Soundcloud

0 Engineers:

Also check

 
;